Thursday 21 March 2013

Social Butterflies

What social groups or organisations did my mother or grandmother belong to?

Mum was always too busy to do stuff like that - raising all of us, running an adoption agency, working, too much. Now, however, we have to make an appointment because she is quite rightly making up for lost time - Community Environment Network, Habitat Publishing, documenting street art in Sydney, going to Margaret Towler's watercolour classes. It is great to see after all this time.

Mum's mum was also too busy looking after her family and her home. I don't even know who her friends were.

Dad's mum was in a painting group at Springwood, and went to a craft group too. I don't know what they were called, but I think they met at a community centre in Springwood. She took me along when I was six or seven years old. We made bark paintings of old farmhouses and she taught me the basics of oil painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment